The Lowdown on Nightly Lip Treatment
At Jersey Beauty Company, if there’s one thing we love to do, it’s talk! This can be pretty tough on the area around our lips, as we stretch and use the skin and muscles around it all day long. This area is also exposed to the environment, we rarely cover the lip area, even in more extreme weather conditions.
From trying out different foods to chatting, when you think about it, your mouth and the skin around it do an awful lot. It's not surprising that the first symptoms of infection, being run down or having a vitamin deficiency, like a dry mouth or cold sore, show themselves in this area.
When we start to realise too that the area around our lips has fewer protective layers, it makes sense that our lip area might need some special treatment! Sometimes even the best lipstick or lip balm is not enough to cover symptoms such as cracked, or chapped dry skin.
So we were pretty excited to try out the new Nightly Lip Treatment from Dermalogica, and to find out more about the kind of treatment we need to give our lip area to keep our skin healthy and happy. After all, a winning smile is about much more than white teeth and perfectly applied lipstick.
At Jersey Beauty Company, we love and understand our skin - we don’t see wrinkles as a loss of beauty, but knowing how our skin is made up, we recognise that when we look after our skin, we will see the reduction of fine lines and wrinkles. We want you to have healthy skin that feels loved!
At Jersey Beauty Company, we have been testing out Nightly Lip Treatment from Dermalogica and learning a little bit more about why we need to care for our lips, beyond the traditional lip balm.
Caring for The Lip Area
We’re sure you’ve noticed, but the skin on your lips is not quite the same as the rest of your face. This is partly because it lacks the outer layer, also known as the strateum corneum that your facial skin has. The skin on your lips also has fewer layers overall and doesn’t have the same composition of oil and sweat glands that provide moisture to other areas of your face. Saliva dries out the lips natural oils.
All of this combined means that the lips are more vulnerable to a lack of moisture and damage, with dehydration leading them to become chapped. The impact of changing weather, environmental conditions and temperatures, including hot foods, can affect the skin on your lips. So it’s important you use a product that helps to repair and protect the lips.
The Lip Area - More Than Just Your Lips
An average woman can rack up 20,000 words a day. That’s a lot of lip action and a lot of stress on the lip area! When we talk about the lip area we are not just talking about the lips themselves. The skin around your lips also needs special attention. Research has shown the increased use of water bottles and drinking straws also has an effect on the skin around our lips. We want to understand why those fine lines and wrinkles appear, what that tells us about our skin, and how we can keep this delicate mouth area healthy.
Why a Nightly Treatment?
If our lips are exposed to daily environmental conditions and are constantly being stretched and losing moisture, literally as we speak, you might be wondering why a nightly treatment? Surely when we’re asleep, our lips are doing the least work? (Unless you’re a prolific sleep talker!)
Well, there is a science behind the nightly treatment.
- Firstly, this is the time your skin renews itself. The cell turnover rate of your skin at night is at its highest. Having a nightly treatment on your lips at this time will give your skin a boost in producing new cells.
- Secondly, as you sleep, you lose the most water from your skin. This process is called Transepidermal Water Loss, (TEWL). Why does it matter? Well, the loss of water in the layers of your skin is part of creating a hollowing effect in the deeper layers of your skin. This is a natural process as we age, as our collagen levels decrease and our skin loses elasticity, which causes fine lines and wrinkles. Deeper wrinkles and unnecessary fine lines, like those around the lip area, are often a sign that you are losing water from the epidermis. A nightly treatment can help to rehydrate lips.
Your Lips Are Like a Sponge
If we imagine our lips as a sponge, it will help us to understand this more. When they are exposed to moisture, they increase in volume. When they are dehydrated, they decrease in volume and can become cracked. The loss of water combined with the natural loss of collagen as we age, means that the skin around the lips can develop fine lines and wrinkles.
Dermalogica’s Nightly Lip Treatment
So, now we understand why we need to give our lip area some special attention, let’s have a look at the new Nightly Lip Treatment from Dermalogica. We love testing out new products and have had as much fun as always sharing our experiences of using the nightly lip treatment.
What’s In It?
There are a number of active ingredients in the nightly lip treatment, which work in two main ways - to rebuild and repair the damage already done to your skin, and to protect and strengthen the skin and skin barrier.
Rebuild and Repair:
- Advanced volumising technology makes your lips plumper - as we age we naturally lose collagen in our skin, which can leave our skin ‘hollow’, this treatment helps to repair and plump up our lips
- Sesame seed - you can't go wrong with a vitamin. This has natural healing properties because it is enriched with vitamins E, B and D. It helps the skin’s barrier to rebuild and strengthen itself, particularly if you have a vitamin deficiency.
- Shea butter - we love shea butter, which is rich in plant actives and works to soothe and repair irritated skin.
Protect and Strengthen:
- Indian gentian extract – this is a delicate herb, it helps thicken your skin - essentially, it helps your skin to toughen up against the environmental damage your skin is exposed to
- Hyaluronic acid - at Jersey Beauty Company, this is a favourite of ours for rehydration, as it is able to hold an unbelievable 1000 times its weight in water. This is great for dehydration as it helps your lips seal in the water they hold.
How Does It Feel?
Well, there was only one way to truly find out - testing it out! We have been using the Nightly Lip Treatment at Jersey Beauty Company and comparing notes.
How It Felt Applying:
First thing to say is that it surprised us all how luxurious it felt - it was a real treat to apply! The texture isn’t a cream, but more of a thick serum - like somewhere between a serum and a balm. It does go on quite thick, like a thick serum, but feels like a real treat, not heavy on the skin. You only need a tiny amount of this lip care treatment, which also makes it a great value product!
How It Felt On:
It has a cooling effect, with a tingle that we loved! You could really feel it working, and it has a really nice soothing feel on your skin.
How it Felt After:
Too often we can wake up feeling the effects of Transepidermal Water Loss (TEWL), with our lips and lip area feeling dehydrated. We loved using this this product, you could still feel the effects of it in the morning! The smooth, silky feeling around the lips was a lovely feeling to wake up with and felt like the skin was set up for the day. A nice alternative to early morning dry lips and dry skin.
Is Dermalogica’s Nightly Lip Treatment right for me?
This product is part of Dermalogica’s AGE Smart Range. It is designed to support ageing skin, to give a helping hand to repair and protect the mouth and lip area and its natural oils. It’s a particularly great product if you’re over forty and have concerns about deepening laughter lines being a sign your skin around the lip area needs some extra help. If you are in your twenties and thirties, then you probably won’t need to use this product just yet, unless you are a smoker, as your skin around the lip area will need extra care and attention.