How a Face Wash Can Make All the Difference for Your Oily Skin
Oily skin can bring a number of problems from enlarged pores to shine along the T-zone to frequent acne breakouts. If your complexion is naturally oily, you'll no doubt know about these issues all too well, but you may not be certain just what you can do about them. Do not fear, from dry skin to the most extreme oily skin type, we have the solution for you to incorporate into your skin care routine. It's all about getting smart with oily skin!
The answer really is as simple as washing your face the right way. More than just a splash with warm water, regular deep cleansing is truly the ultimate treatment for oily skin. When you consistently deep cleanse, you can minimise congestion, purify your pores and promote a clearer complexion. But what type of facial cleanser is right for you? After all, you don't want to wash away too many of those natural oils.
What is Deep Cleansing for Oily Skin?
A deep cleanse is a thorough cleanse that usually consists of washing the face twice in the morning and twice at night. As a result, deep cleansing is sometimes referred to as a "double cleanse." For the first step in a double cleanse, you can use an oil-based facial cleanser or a makeup remover to sweep away dirt, debris and residue from cosmetics.
The second step in a deep cleanse serves as a treatment and can provide a number of benefits for your complexion and skin type, depending on the types of products that you use. Steaming to open and purify the pores can be substituted for a second professional skincare product.
Why is Deep Cleansing Important for Oily Skin?
Deep cleansing is essential for oily skin, as it allows you to remove excess oil that can clog your pores, cause shine and increase the impression of blackheads. A thorough deep cleanse with a face cleanser also fully eliminates debris that can worsen skin congestion. When you use the right face wash for oily skin, from professional skincare brands, a double cleanse can provide anti-pollution benefits to liberate toxins and pollutants from deep within the tissue. In addition, a professional face wash can exfoliate your complexion to support cellular turnover and resurface your skin.
Because a deep cleanse is so essential to the health of oily skin, it's vital that you commit to washing your face twice every day without ever skipping a cleansing session.
Face Wash Ingredients to Use for a Deep Cleanse of Oily Skin
There are a number of face wash ingredients that can be beneficial in a deep cleanse for oily skin. Which ones will provide the most benefits for you will depend on your skin's unique characteristics. So which oily skin face wash is best for you?
In general, some of the best ingredients to incorporate in a double cleanse include:
- Oil: many impurities that accumulate on your skin during the day are not water soluble, so they can be left behind when you wash your face. The molecules in an oil-based face cleanser can bind to molecules of waterproof makeup, sunscreen, pollutants and your skin's natural oils for a more thorough cleanse. You can use an oil-based cleanser like Dermalogica Precleanse or Ark Skincare Pro Remove Pre Cleanse for the first step in a double cleanse. Precleanse Wipes provide a quick, convenient way to benefit from an oil-based face wash, perfect for an oily skin type
- Lymphokine: this ingredient complex, created by the experts at Guinot, has the ability to calm inflammation and to enhance your complexion's natural ability to protect itself from irritants. A face wash with lymphokine like Guinot Demaquillant Hydra Sensitive can help to reduce symptoms of sensitivity (especially for acne-sufferers) like redness and itching while providing cleansing benefits.
- Clay: highly absorbent, natural clays like green clay and kaolin have the ability to draw oil away from the surface of your skin and from inside your pores. A clay-based face wash like Decleor Clay and Herbal Cleansing Mask or Dermalogica Dermal Clay Cleanser can also detoxify the skin and can be an excellent choice for those concerned about the effects of environmental pollution.
- Salicylic Acid: a beta hydroxy acid, salicylic acid has the ability to break down clogs in the pores to address signs of skin congestion. At the same time, the facial wash ingredients act as an exfoliator to lift away cellular debris. For teens suffering from chronic acne, a salicylic acid professional skincare face wash like Dermalogica Breakout Clearing Foaming Wash can decrease the frequency of breakouts of pimples.
For your own complexion, you can use the Sebum Clearing Masque to exfoliate and deeply cleanse. These types of face washes are less ideal for sensitive skin, as their exfoliation actions could pose a risk for irritation.
- Glycolic Acid: derived from cane sugar, glycolic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid exfoliator that provides similar benefits to salicylic acid, eliminating pore blockages and cellular debris with each application. A face wash that contains glycolic acid can provide intensive exfoliating benefits while removing excess oil. The intensive exfoliating benefits of this type of facial wash do make glycolic acid formulas less than ideal for sensitive complexions.
- Sebocidine Complex: found exclusively in Guinot products like the Guinot Microbiotic Mousse, the sebocidine ingredient complex is a blend of active ingredients that helps to normalise oil production in the sebaceous glands (your skin’s natural oil-producing glands.)
With regular use, a face wash with the sebocidine complex can help to normalise the sebum content of the skin to ease symptoms commonly associated with oily skin. The sebocidine complex in this type of skin cleanser also has antimicrobial benefits to discourage the growth of bacteria that contribute to acne breakouts.
Choosing the Best Face Wash for You
If you have oily skin, a deep cleanse with a professional face wash can make all the difference in the texture and appearance of your complexion, but as you can see, there are many different options from professional skincare brands that you can choose.
For help selecting the right products, complete the Jersey Beauty skin profile. Your answers will then be analysed by one of the Skin Therapists at Jersey Beauty. Then, your Skin Therapist will digitally prescribe the right products for your oily skin, and you can shop for them at jerseybeautycompany.co.uk.