Hannah's Story: 6 Ways to Get Fit Skin For 2018
Set Fit Skin Resolutions
Woaaah it’s January, how did that happen? The tree has gone, decs are down, and I’m ready to get on with this new year. I love January, it’s like a fresh canvas, a clean slate to create another year of memories. Christmas was great fun for me this year, Father Christmas delivered the right gift to the right kid (such relief!) Prosecco and Christmas pud were consumed - it was a fairly epic time of feasting!
But all feasting must come to an end, and I’m eager to get back to exercising and replacing a glass of bubbly for breakfast with a smoothie instead.
I’ve never been one for fad dieting or that January rush to the gym, but as I hurtle towards 40, exercise and healthy eating have come further up my list of priorities.
" I’m all about sustainability, I hate starting something which I can’t actually follow through, so I tend to attempt manageable goals rather than ones which will have fizzled out within a few weeks. "
A few years back, I had two kids in nappies and not sleeping at night, my new year’s resolution was to have a messy house - it really was - and I kept to it wonderfully!
As for keeping fit, I’m more likely to be found doing some gentle yoga in my living room. But, what about my skin? Having a fit body and healthy eating plan doesn’t always add up to the radiant skin I hoped for...
I realised about a year ago, that I could drink all the kale smoothies in the world but I also needed to pay attention to my skincare routine.
Beat Last Year's Skin Routine
This time last year my skincare routine mostly consisted of ‘shampoo falling on my face in the shower’ and then slathering on whichever moisturiser I grabbed while in Tesco, but it wasn’t quite cutting it. Did you know that skin is the largest living organ in your body? Bit of a game changer that fact isn’t it? When presented with this fact, I realised that all the yoga and kale in the world wouldn’t alone give me the complexion I wanted. I looked in the mirror and saw red irritated skin, I needed help.
Unless I layered on make up, people would hold me gently by the arm, and in a very concerned voice say ‘‘Are you ok, you look really tired’’ I was like, ‘Yup, this is just my face without makeup.’
So I decided that a skin care routine was needed. Baby steps..I started with a basic cleanse tone and moisturise, for me that was progress.
Choose Dermalogica = Sensitive Skin's Hero
I can safely say that Dermalogica products have been a turning point for me, my skin is still not amazing (broken sleep for 7 years is never a recipe for looking one’s best!) it’s sensitive and often has open pores, but it’s 100% better than it was when i was starting last year.
It’s softer and less irritated, I’ve added a skincare routine into my fitness and healthy eating schedule and I’m looking better!
So I say, ditch the fad diets, and over ambitious exercise goals, let’s aim for what we can manage all year round. This January I’m adding in some eye creams, exfoliation and a weekly masque. What’s your starting point? Join me in scaling up, just one step is all you need to take!
Here are 6 Points to Get Your Skin Fighting Fit For 2018
- Cleanse. Clean skin is your starting point. Dirty skin means premature ageing and if you get that invite to the royal wedding this spring time - you want your skin to be ready!
- Get your skin type right. If you are investing in a skin care routine you want to use your time and money wisely. If you don’t know what your skin type is use this tool.
- Make a plan. Start as you mean to go on. Cleanse, tone and moisturise is a must day and night, but when will you exfoliate? Skin therapists say that as long as you do it, it doesn’t matter too much when. But deciding in advance if it will be part of your day or evening skincare routine will mean it actually happens.
- Get the right toner. Toners can be a bit of a conundrum, and in all honesty it’s taken me while to be convinced of their merits. But here’s what I’ve learned….. a toner hydrates your skin and prepares it to absorb the moisturiser you’re about to apply, so it’s worth doing! I like to think of it as the skincare equivalent of stretching before a workout….it gets you ready for the main event.
- Moisturise. - Find one which makes your skin sing.
- Wash Your Make-up Brushes! It was brought my attention recently that make up brushes harbour a whole lot of grime and gross stuff, so while you’re at this detox malarkey why not give those brushes a treat too? Then you won’t be applying last year’s dirt to your newly detoxed face!
Recently, I put these steps into action and reviewed Dermalogica's Ultracalming range, in the hope that you will feel totally inspired to join me in my quest for fit skin this year. Click the link below to watch my skin story. If you've got sensitive skin, this is certainly one to check out.