So another exciting thing about the Dermalogica Precleanse balm is that it comes with an ergonomically designed mitt, which is gentler than it looks! It is designed to help work the Precleanse into your skin with gentle exfoliating and a deeper cleanse.
Dermalogica Precleanse Balm Live Launch (Live)
At Jersey Beauty Company we are really excited because Dermalogica have launched a new product, the Dermalogica Precleanse Balm, and we got to chat about it with Victoria, skin care therapist for over 20 years in face care and also Educating Executive at Dermalogica. As with every new product, there is always a buzz and excitement around it. But is it right for you? Sometime we click ‘buy’ on something just because it’s new. We wanted to find out everything you need to know about Dermalogica Precleanse Balm from Victoria, so you can decide if it’s right for your unique skin care concerns.
So what is Dermalogica Precleanse Balm?
Dermalogica Precleanse Balm is that very first step of cleansing – Dermalogica call it step zero of the Dermalogica Double Cleanse. If you’re a regular reader of our blog, you’ll know we love the Double Cleanse! This is a Precleanse luxurious balm-to-oil version of Dermalogica’s best seller PreCleanse oil.
Why Double Cleanse?
Well skin therapist Victoria explains simply, our skin is actually really dirty! For a start, your skin sheds cells every second throughout the day, a lot of those sit on the top layer of your skin, trapping in any dirt and grime. Your skin also produces oil and sweat which is also trapped just on top of your skin. Then we layer on top our skin care products, makeup, layers of sunscreen and go out into the environment where dirt, debris and pollutants from the day also affect our skin. So you need a pretty good cleansing routine for all that?!
So why double cleanse? Well a standard cleanser is often water-based, which doesn’t remove all of the build of oil, make-up and so on effectively. Dermalogica’s PreCleanse Balm is an oil based cleanser – oil attracts oil to melt through and lift off the dirt.
You can try this experiment at home – using something like your Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel and a sample of Dermalogica Precleanse Balm. If you put two lines of your favourite lipstick on your forearm. You’ll notice, as we did when Victoria demonstrated for us, that the PreCleanse Balm is far more effective at removing the whole of the product.
Combining the zero step PreCleanse followed by your normal cleanser will ensure your skin is thoroughly cleansed, which is great news for your skin and for all the other products you use too that can get deeper into the skin to do their job!
So can I not just use the Precleanse Balm? Why do I need the second cleanse?
Skin therapist Victoria explains that in their research for this product and face care as a whole, the overwhelming results are that while the Precleanse can more effectively dissolve the oil and make-up residues, you still need the second stage to clean your skin. It just allows your cleanser to get into the pores and ensures your skin is actually clean after cleansing.
What skin types can use Dermalogica Precleanse Balm?
It’s suitable for all skins, as it doesn’t leave a residue so won’t add extra oil to oily skin types. It is especially effective for normal to dry skin types – it’s a really nourishing product and so the texture does feel heavier than the original Dermalogica Precleanse. If you have oilier skin you may prefer to stick with original Dermalogica Precleanseformula. It really is down to your individual skin concerns and your preference but it won’t leave any greasy residue.
Dermalogica Precleanse Balm is also a great travel companion, as it is quite solid in the tube so won’t be danger of any leakage. And it comes with a specially designed mitt which will fit neatly in your bag or case.
I have sensitive skin, will this product help?
In short, yes! One of the active ingredients in it is Apricot Kernel Oil, which makes it nourishing, lightweight and rich in fatty acids. When we talk about sensitised skin, and we have before on the JBC Blog, we know that we need to replenish the Lipid Barrier – that’s the oily layer that is on top of your outer layers of skin and protects your skin. It is fully of essential fatty acids. So the Apricot Kernel Oil will help to replenish that layer, dealing with sensitivity. Dermalogica therapist Victoria then recommends you follow with Dermalogica UltraCalming Cleanser.
What other active ingredients does this product contain?
So we mentioned Apricot Kernel Oil, but that is just one of three key ingredients that have been selected for their capacity to break down all that dirt and grime, from make-up, dirt, pollutants, to product. They also have been selected for their superior skin conditioning properties.
- Apricot Kernel Oil – so we’ve already mentioned this one – it’s nourishing, lightweight and rich in fatty acids. As well as helping repair the lipid barrier, it also tones and firms skin and helps to maintain its moisture balance. This Oil is great too as it doesn’t leave behind a greasy residue, like some oils. It just leaves your skin feeling smooth and comfortable.
- Natural Biolipid Complex – this one is a bit scientific – it is a combination of phospholipids and glycolipids that helps reinforce the skin’s barrier function while decreasing Trans-Epidermal Water Loss (TEWL) to preserve skin hydration. TEWL sounds complicated but it really just means that our skin loses water, through the day and at night, and we don’t always replace it with hydration, which leads to dehydrated skin.
- Invigorating Essential Oils – it has an amazing combination of Lavender, Bitter Orange, Grapefruit, Mandarin Orange and Lemongrass, which work together to refreshes the senses and help deliver the state of clean skin that is traditionally experienced in the professional treatment room. In other words, you are getting salon clean skin at home.
So, I have been told that my skin is dehydrated, will this product help?
Yes, because the Natural Biolipid Complex is designed to help with TEWL (moisture loss) which is essentially dehydration. This product is a great option for dehydrated skin, to ensure a really deep cleanse and rehydration.
I have acne, will Dermalogica Precleanse Balm help?
The double cleansing step daily is super important when it comes to keeping skin clear and healthy. Which is how we want to deal with the causes and roots of acne. So the Precleanse Balm is great but you may prefer the lighter texture of the original Dermalogica Precleanse. Skin therapist Victoria suggests Dermalogica Precleanse followed by Dermalogica Dermal Clay Cleanser or Dermalogica Clearing Skin Wash, both of which are ideal for oily or breakout prone skins.
Will this help with clogged pores?
Absolutely! The Precleanse Balm dissolves all the grime on top of the skin, lifting everything off gently. Which means your second cleanser can really treat your skin, cleaning deeper into those clogged pores.
I have dry skin with fine lines and wrinkles, will this product help?
For a number of reasons, yes! Firstly it is great for dry skin and has a nourishing balm texture. Secondly because it gets rid of the dirt and grime and product on top of your skin, effectively dissolving the oily substances, it makes way for optimum absorption of active products such as serums and treatment oils. Skin therapist Victoria recommends following the Precleanse Balm with an AGE Smart Cleanser such as Skin Resurfacing Cleanser to regenerate and smooth the skin, to assist with fine lines.
How do I use the product?
Dermalogica are great at giving clear steps for how to use their products for the most effective working on your skin. So alongside the mitt, which you should dispense a small coin sized amount onto, there is a clear application method, which Victoria guides us through.
- Apply – you should apply the product onto dry skin, either using the mitt or your fingers.
- Work dry – before you add any water you should work the product, in circular motions, gently getting into all those crevices
- Emulsify – this is the bit where we add water, but not to rinse yet! The science of Precleanse Balm is that oil attracts oil, so the first step is attracting all the oil and debris. So we add just a little water and it work it in, starting to see it turn a bit milky on the skin. What is happening here is that the emulsifying process is capturing that debris ready to then rinse off.
- Rinse – finally rinse the product off your skin, and along with it all the dirt it has collected!
If you want to know more about Dermalogica Precleanse Balm, you can download our free guide, Your Guide to Dermalogica’s Precleanse Balm: The Step Zero Skin Care Cleanser here: