Can these skin care products replace your makeup?
Your skin is amazing! No really, it is! It just might not always feel that way. As your skin ages it can go through lots of changes, with hormones, stress, lifestyle, genes and the environment all playing their part. It can be tempting to reach for the concealer and foundation to mask those skin concerns. But actually, a great skin care routine can actually help to deal with those skin concerns and leave your natural skin feeling and looking fabulous! While there is nothing wrong with loving your makeup, you can also love your natural skin without makeup, regardless of your age.
Using lots of makeup to cover up your skin concerns can actually mean your pores get clogged with leftover makeup and your skin isn’t able to breathe and heal. The key is choosing the right skin care products to get your unique skin back to full health. You can also use two in one skin care and makeup products for the ultimate treat for your skin throughout the day. If you feel like you rely on makeup to get an even skin tone and cover up those skin concerns, we want to introduce you to a range of products that can make it perfectly possible to replace your makeup with excellent skin care.
Three types of skincare to replace your makeup
There are three categories of skincare products we want to take a closer look at. Each can help to even skin tone and address skin concerns affecting ageing skin, like deepening fine lines and wrinkles, age spots and sun damage. They can leave your skin feeling and looking amazing. We have primers, masks and serums - so let’s take a closer look.
Primers are designed to be the base layer of any makeup. So the place they fit in your skincare routine is after you moisturize and before you put any makeup on. You can always use a primer instead of makeup, depending on the look you would like. They can also be a great base layer of sun protection, depending on the primer you choose.
Dermalogica Hydrablur Primer
This is a primer that is designed to either be used as the base layer of makeup or can be used instead of foundation for a natural smooth look. The best way we can describe this primer is like an instagram filter in a tube! It has a skin smoothing effect. This works to minimise fine lines and wrinkles and other signs of ageing.
- A lightweight, non-greasy formula - While this primer isn’t designed for very oily skin, it is a good skin mattifier for before makeup.
- Whu-Zhu-Yu Extract - This helps to enhance the natural radiance of your skin.
Mushroom Extract - This is a natural astringent. It helps to tighten pores so makes the skin appear smoother.
- Sodium Hyaluronate - This rehydrates skin in the deeper layers, promoting collagen production. A lack of collagen is often due to sun damage and free radicals damage. It can leave skin looking hollow and wrinkles and lines deeper. This helps to smooth skin and reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
- H2ORelease™ Complex and Abyssinian Oil - This combination gives the skin intense moisture. It also helps to lock in the benefits of the primer. Using this first before applying makeup helps to fight against losing water in the skin during the day.
- Microencapsulated tint - This one of our favourite benefits of Hydrablur Primer. It provides a neutral coverage, giving that ‘filter’ look, even skin tone and reduces the appearance of blemishes.
Is Hydra Blur Primer good for your skin?
If you are looking for a primer that could replace your foundation, then yes. This is a great choice for you. It can also help to extend how long your makeup stays on your skin. It has a great skin smoothing effect. So it’s also great if you want a primer that will give you an even surface to put on makeup.
It doesn’t have a built-in SPF factor which isn’t good for sun exposure. You may think that staying out of the sun when it is at its hottest is enough to protect your skin from sun damage. But actually, your skin is exposed to sun exposure daily, whether or not it’s sunny! So a primer with SPF can be a great asset for ageing skin.
Dermalogica Skin Perfect Primer SPF 30
Let’s look at a primer that does have sun protection. This primer is a part of the AGE Smart range so is formulated with older people and your specific concerns. As you age, your skin can take longer to heal so it’s really important to protect your skin against sun damage and free radicals.
- Soy protein - This is a part of a skin smoothing formula to prepare your skin for makeup or just for a flawless natural look.
- A neutral tone tint - this is a clever tint that suits most skin tones, with a neutral and even coverage across the skin.
- Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide - great for protection against sun damage for ageing skin. UV rays not only cause sunburn but also attack the collagen and elastin levels in the skin. This can lead to fine lines and wrinkles looking deeper and skin losing its elasticity. This is a great daily protection against UV damage either on its own or under makeup.
- Peptides - this active ingredient helps to firm and tone your skin, making a great base layer for makeup.
Is SkinPerfect Primer right for your skin?
It can be a great solution if you are looking for a primer with sun protection. It has a neutral tint which suits most skin types. If you want a primer without any tint, then Hydra Blur Primer might be a better choice.
Ark Skincare Skin Protector SPF30 Primer
If you are looking for a skin primer that is designed as a base layer for makeup with a sun protection element then Ark Skincare Skin Protector is worth a look. It creates a flawless skin finish and makes putting makeup feel like your skin has been airbrushed!
- Vitamin E - This is a natural antioxidant so protects your skin against free radicals damage - that’s the effect of everyday pollutants on your skin.
- Shea Butter - this is great for dry skin, as it helps to protect your natural oils and also to heal damaged skin. It’s a great ingredient in a primer as it sits as a barrier between your dry skin and makeup to prevent irritation.
- Sunflower Seed Extract - This ingredient is packed full of vitamins and minerals so is a treat for your skin before you put makeup on top.
- Can be used as a daily moisturiser - as well as being a great primer, this can also be used in place of a daily moisturizer - with all the goodness you need.
- SPF 30 - This has a powerful sun protection factor to keep your skin hydrated and protected all day long.
Is Skincare Skin Protector right for your skin?
It could be great if you are looking for a primer that can replace your moisturiser or if you are looking for a primer with a powerful SPF that will leave your skin airbrush smooth for makeup.
Primers are a more obvious choice of skincare to replace or reduce your need for makeup for ageing skin. A less obvious choice might be a mask. But we’ve got two we’d like you to take a closer look at.
Sand and Sky Brilliant Skin Australian Pink Clay Mask
As the name suggests this mask is brilliant for brilliant skin! Its main ingredient, Australian Pink Clay, is great for detoxifying and brightening your skin. If you find yourself reaching for your highlighter to give your skin a boost, why not try this clay mask and rediscover your skin’s natural radiance?
Australian Pink Clay - an incredible skin purifying ingredient. It has anti inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It’s great for dealing with excess oil, that hormone changes can often bring. It also is great for sensitive skin and at cleansing deeply.
Pomegranate - this helps with even skin tone, tackling skin blemishes.
Vitamin A - helps to regulate your oil production to deal with excess oil and breakouts.
Is Australian Pink Clay Mask right for my skin?
If you are concerned about excess oil and breakouts or would like to rediscover your natural radiance this could be a great choice for your skin.
Evolve Organic Beauty Miracle Mask
Another great mask made from natural ingredients is the Beauty Miracle Mask. This is packed full of natural fruit acids to revive dull, uneven and sagging skin.
Natural Alpha Hydroxy Acids- AHAs - Derived from fruit acids, these natural AHAs are great for helping to gently get rid of dead skin cells and excess oil and pollutants to leave your skin feeling radiant and soft.
Peruvian Maca - this is an active ingredient that has been used for ageing skin for centuries. It naturally helps to stimulate cell renewal, which slows as we age.
Papaya Extract - this natural source of Vitamin A acts a gentle exfoliator to reveal renewed skin.
Is Beauty Miracle Mask right for my skin?
It can be great if you are looking a natural mask that can boost your skin and cell production. You will be left with radiant and healthy looking skin.
Last but by no means least… we wanted to introduce you to a serum that can help to give your skin its natural radiance back. Serums can be a great boost for dull looking and uneven skin.
Ark Skincare Radiance Serum
This is great for regaining that glow! And who doesn’t want that? Your skin has a natural glow, even before you add the highlighter(!), this serum helps to give your skin back its natural luminosity.
Amino Acids - that work to brighten the skin, restoring that glow
Red Algae - that works on skin spots and uneven skin tone to give an all-over radiance
Velvet Flower Seed - that encourages your cells to renew and repair themselves. This is a process that slows naturally as your skin ages so this ingredient stimulates that cell renewal
Are you ready to rediscover your skin’s natural look?
You may be looking to ditch the makeup altogether or just feel like you have the option to go bare, or even if you just want a base that will be looking after your skin all day long. Whatever your skincare needs, we are here to help you discover the right skin care products for your unique skin concerns. To shop for the products we’ve talked about and to find tons of other options, head over to our website: