You can find more options on our website, and you can also choose a selection of free samples, if you’re struggling to choose the best cleanser for you.
Ageing skin: the best cleansers and make-up removers for any skin type
At Jersey Beauty we are passionate about skin education. We love learning how our skin works and how skin care products can address concerns and sharing that with our Jersey customers. When it comes to ageing, the first thing to say is that your skin changes over time. So the type of skin you have and how it reacts to products in your twenties or thirties may not be the same in your fifties.
Hormone imbalances, either through pregnancy, ageing or menopause, can cause differences in your skin as can the effects of sun damage. You can develop oily, sensitive or dry patches, where previously you may not have had any issues. You can also start to see age spots and patches of redness. Your skin can also go from over producing oil to being dry or lacking hydration.
We speak to a lot of customers with ageing skin who have used the same products for a number of years. But now they are finding they have new skin concerns and that the products they have loved don’t have the same effect. We share the same advice a lot:
As you age, you need to change up your skin care routine - starting with your cleanser.
So we wanted to get you thinking… is it time you made a change? Does your cleanser still offer you that amazing feeling it used to? Or are you noticing new concerns as you age?
Is it time you changed your cleanser?
We thought we’d take a look at some of our favourite cleansers for different skin types. If you are considering changing up your cleansing routine then this a great place to start.
A Word On Skin Types
There is a lot of information online about different skin types. We know the reality is that your skin is unique and we know there is no one-size-fits-all routine. It is useful to try and identify the skin concerns you relate to and to understand your skin changes over time. There are some commonly mentioned skin types:
- Normal - we aren’t a fan of the word ‘normal’. Who wants to be normal for a start?! We are all unique. But if you don’t identify with any of the other concerns, this is a good place to start for general care.
- Oily - where your sebaceous glands produces excess sebum (oil), which sits on top of the skin. This can lead to acne, breakouts, blackheads and dull looking skin as the dirt, grime and dead cells cling to the oil and bacteria gets trapped underneath.
- Dry/dehydrated - a common mistake people make is not understanding the difference between dry and dehydrated. Dry skin lacks oil - this can lead to the lipid barrier (the top layer) being impaired and causing flakiness, irritation, and leaving your skin feeling tight and dry. Dehydrated skin lacks moisture - this can be a sign of ageing. As you sleep you can lose water - in a process called transepidermal water loss. This leaves the deeper layers without enough water - which leads to deepening lines and wrinkles. Dry and dehydrated concerns need different care.
- Sensitive - there is a difference between truly sensitive skin and sensitivity. As you age your skin may feel more sensitive - this can be a result of hormones. True sensitivity will be something you have from birth. Products that can address sensitivity and redness may be OK for sensitivity but not truly sensitive skin.
- Combination - most of us will have combination skin. You may have patches of oiliness and also sensitivity and dry patches, at the same time.
Introducing the Double Cleanse - A Great Idea for Everyone
Before we dive into looking at cleansers, we wanted to introduce you to a concept we love at Jersey Beauty - the double cleanse. If you don’t already double cleanse, this may transform your skincare routine. Double cleanse is what it says on the tin - cleansing twice. The first cleanse removes makeup, daily dirt and grime and pollutants that cause free radicals damage. The second cleanse works deeply, leaving your skin feeling fresh and clean. You can use the same cleanser for both cleanses or you may prefer to use two different stages of cleanser to address different concerns and needs.
Oily Skin? Try an Oil Based Cleanser or Cleansing Milk
Often we mistakenly think oily skin needs a cleanser that will strip the oil. This can actually have the opposite effect, encouraging even more oil production. Also as you age, oily skin is often accompanied by some sensitivity. So we are suggesting you consider an oil based cleanser or a cleansing milk.
Dermalogica PreCleanse - an Oil Based Cleanser
Oil based cleansers work by using oil to attract oil, along with dirt and make-up. Dermalogica PreCleanse has a combination of oils and active ingredients to dissolve dirt, make-up and excess oil and leave your skin feeling refreshed.
This cleanser works by attracting the oil and grime then its unique formula works up to a gentle lather to remove all residue. The Cleanser has:
- Apricot Kernel Oil - which has natural firming properties, to help protect against premature ageing.
- Kukui Nut Oil - helps to protect against environmental and pollution damage. It is an antioxidant so helps to fight against free radicals.
Safflower Oil - this is an essential oil that is really high in fatty acids, i works to nourish. As the Precleanse dissolves excess oil, the safflower oil works to replace goodness and moisture in the deeper layers.
Guinot Lait Hydra Fraicheur - a cleansing milk
Cleansing milks are less harsh than some abrasive cleansers, which is great for sensitivity. Excess oil can lead to sensitivity, as dirt and grime affect the lipid barrier. It has:
- Capric Triglyceride - this works to draw out and dissolve oil, make-up and dirt, deeply and gently cleansing.
- Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder - this is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory than works reduce any irritation and protect against free radicals.
- Cucumber Extract - softens and refreshes whilst cleansing, leaving the skin feeling clean and refreshed.
Cleansers for oily skin are also great for removing make-up as they are designed to attract dirt, grime and excess oil and make-up, dissolve and remove them effectively.
Dry Skin? Try a Cleansing Balm
When it comes to addressing dryness, you are always looking for products that help to repair and rebuild the lipid barrier - that’s the oily layer that protects your skin from damage. Harsh cleansers can cause sensitivity and do further damage. The Dermalogica Precleanse Balm is a gentle cleansing balm that removes impurities and dead cells whilst also replenishing fatty acids and essential oils.
- Soyabean oil - that replenishes vitamins and minerals
- Natural Biolipid Complex - that works to replenish and strengthen the lipid barrier
Citrus and Lavender Essential Oils - that revive fatigued skin
Dehydrated Skin? Try Micellar Water
Micellar water may look like normal water but it is actual a great way to rehydrate and cleanse whilst adding moisture. Mary Cohr Soothing Micellar Water is a great choice. It not only gently but effectively cleanses away make-up and daily dirt and grime but it also has cherry blossom extract, which is rich in antioxidants and helps with rehydration.
Normal/Combination Skin? Try A Cleansing Gel
If you want a cleanser that will address a range of concerns, Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel is a soap-free cleanser that leaves your skin feeling fresh and clean.
- Quillaja Saponaria Bark Extract - which is a natural foaming and cleansing ingredient, that won’t dry out your skin like soap based cleansers.
- Melissa Officinalis Leaf Extract - that soothes and addresses any areas of sensitivity and redness
A built-in T-Zone Formula - great for combination skin, there are ingredients to tackle areas of excess oil.
Sensitive Skin? Try a calming cleanser
When you experience sensitivity it can be tempting to not use a cleanser at all. But this can actually make things worse, as dirt and grime gather, irritating the lipid barrier more and making the skin feel worse.
Try Dermalogica Ultra Calming Cleanser - this super gentle but effective cleanser can even be used without water, if you have extreme sensitivity. It has:
- UltraCalming Complex - soothing redness and irritation
- Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract - to soothe inflammation and help with healing
- Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B) - encourages the tissue to renew and regrow
Choosing the Right Cleanser For your Needs
At Jersey Beauty, we have a wide range of cleansers depending on your individual concerns. We understand that making a change to your skin care routine can feel like a massive thing - especially if you have used the same products for a long time. We also know that it can be difficult to know what might work for your unique skin concerns.